Thursday, July 16, 2009

CR Day 5 - Mocha Latte!


The students had a quiz first thing this morning so I headed out to a little coffee shop and found a very lovely mocha latte. I sat there and watched the people go by while sipping my drink. Pura vida! I'm getting better and better at communicating what I want but I still don't understand a thing that's said to me...oh well, I have time! When they explain to me how much I owe them I ask that they write it down; the numbers are huge and real tongue twisters so this makes it easier for me to understand. This mocha latte set me back 1,250 colones (don't panic Dad, that's about 2.00 US). The exchange rate is working in our favor this week and I hope that will continue.







I took a photo of some of the stairs. I feel like I'm either walking up or down hill at all times and that there are no level areas in Heredia. I'm guessing that the sidewalks are built and maintained by the individual home owners, as each piece of sidewalk is totally different in front of each house and at a totally different level. There are often huge steps down from one property to the next...very dangerous if you're not watching.

Chuck discussed the impact of the Swine Flu epidemic in Costa Rica with the students today and worked on some stratgies for keeping everyone healthy. These are such bright kids that I feel sure we will all stay healthy. The UNA students come back on Monday but public school are closed for an extra week to help stop the spread of this flu. Our schedule has had to change some because of this; we were to visit and do service learning at some public schools next week but Ana is shifting things around a bit.

Chuck and I are headed out to dinner this evening with friends that we made last year while visiting at UNA, so I'm going to keep this short.

Good night, Pat

2 comments:

  1. Me parece que no estas sufriendo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, the Latte looks fabulous.. Not to sure what Anita wrote, maybe I need some lessons!

    Stairs are great!! Hope all is well...

    ReplyDelete