Tuesday, July 21, 2009

CR Day 10 - Not much to tell

UNA library computer lab - check out those internet cables!

Chuck headed down to campus at the regular time of 8am while I stayed at the apartment and waited for the cleaning lady; she won't clean unless someone is at home. So this morning I sat in the sun and read my book while a nice woman cleaned our rooms, nice! We did luck out as today was clean sheet day, and on top of that we got two nice washcloths with the towels. It is unusual to get washcloths even in nice hotels in many of the places we've traveled; I carry my own while Chuck does not bother with one. Washcloths and clean sheets - today was a big day! The sheets that were on the bed when we got here may have been on there for a while and they had that tropical mustiness, clean but musty...

Anyhow, I find that students often hit a "travel wall" about half way through each of the trips we've been on and this trip is no different. We have some folks that are tired, some that need a dose of home cooking and some that have had it for other reasons. A few days from now they will find their comfort zone again and all will be fine. I wonder if this happens with adult groups too and if there is anyway to avoid it? I know that it's a stretch to take two demanding classes and spend the rest of your time speaking Spanish, fitting in culturally and eating unfamiliar foods. But again, I have to say that these are amazing young people.

At UNA this afternoon I noticed that the cleaning people are cleaning every room, every desk, everything. I'm wondering if it's what they do at mid-year break or if it related to the swine flu or is this something you have to do all the time here in the tropics...questions.

Students on orientation tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment