Tuesday, July 14, 2009

CR Day 3 - First Class


It rained last night, really poured down and the wind whipped around upturning one of the big plants on our patio. We haven't had any rain during the day yet; as a matter of fact, the weather here has been just about perfect. It's been warm but not hot and breezy. We are about 4,000' above sea level and about 700' above the capital city of San Jose. From the next street over we get an amazing view of the Central Valley spread out below us. Hopefully, one evening I will get over there with my tripod and get some shots.

Yesterday morning we had breakfast delivered to our rooms. It wasn't anything to write home about (and yet here I am...) so today we had cereal and milk that we bought at the market. We think this may be the right way to go for breakfast. We will be eating lunches
at the UNA cafeteria starting next week but this week the UNA students are on mid-year break and the cafeteria is closed. So after class today we all went to Rosti Pollo for lunch. Our table ordered a roasted chicken with sides and ate family style; the food was good and sharing it gave everyone a chance to taste several popular Tican dishes. Walking home from classes this afternoon Chuck and I stopped at the local bakery and bought a bunch of different breads, some sweet, some filled with stuff...and others that I don't know what they are yet. For dinner, we ate a couple of the breads; one was filled with chicken and spices, sort of a pepperoni roll done Tican style, and another had mild chilies cooked into it.

I do miss my decaf coffee and can't seem to find it here. We bought regular coffee for in the morning. The coffee was on sale and seemed lik
e what we needed, just regular ground coffee. Well when I got back to the rooms I read that it is 92% coffee and 8% sugar...how strange is that!













The students seemed glad to see each other and us today. They are doing just great with thier Costa Rican host families and had all sorts of stories to tell. I know they made plans to meet up and go out tonight. They invited us to join them but no way I'm walking back down that hill tonight! Besides the market just a block away has cold cerveza! I enjoy the energy and interest that college students bring to the travel experience.

Well that's it for tonight, tomorrow we visit the recycling facility...Love, Pat

3 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying both of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up Heredia on the map. Looks like you are near some fabulous Parkes Nationales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update.
    Cold cerveza sounds good.
    Wonder what is Costa Rica's #1 cerveza?
    Have one for me K8T!
    Mark Bugyi

    ReplyDelete