Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 2 – London with Bob

We woke up fresh and ready to see some London. The first place we went was Westminster Abbey for the Verge tour which was great, really informative. I had read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth before I left home and that really added to the tour. The priest that was doing the hourly prayers that week at theNo Abbey walked with our tour and I talked to him for a while and learned about the roles that the visiting monks, nuns and priests preform. 

No photos allowed inside!  Westminster Abbey is a functioning house of worship.  Inside, we passed the tombs of many famous scientists, composers, authors, statesmen and clerics.  Too many names to mention.

We left the Abby and walked up to Trafalgar Square past the Royal Horse guard, which did a changing of the guard right in front of us. That was neat but signs warned us to "watch out - horses bite and kick." We returned to the Abbey to hear a brass band preform a lunch time concert; Chuck was in his element.








We had lunch at a Fuller's Pub - meat pie and ale ...



 ...then we strolled past Buckingham Palace. I know the Queen wanted me to stop and say “hello” but there were menacing guards standing at all the gates, so I didn't poke my head in. 
We popped into a tube station and rode up to the British Museum, a really beautiful museum full of amazing treasures. We did a quick tour through Egypt, Asyria and Greece, seeing the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles.





That night Chuck and I had tickets to see the ceremony of the keys, this is when they lock up the Tower of London and all the Royal Jewels. That was just neat to see and I would recommend anyone heading over get tickets.

2 comments:

  1. I am living vacation through your trip!! Sounds fantabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am traveling vicariously through you. Okay?

    ReplyDelete